The Anatomy Department is an active pre-clinical department largely devoted to teaching Anatomy to medical, paramedical students and nursing students. Located on the college campus, it stands close to the Women’s Hostel, basketball court and college canteen.
- Dr. Bina Isaac, MBBS, MS, Professor & Head
- Dr. Sunil J. Holla, MBBS, MS, Professor
- Dr. Indirani K. MSc, MEd, PhD, Professor
- Dr. Suganthy Rabi, MBBS, MS, DNB, Professor
- Dr. Ivan James Prithishkumar, MBBS, MS, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Tripti Meriel Jacob, MBBS, MS, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Deepak Vinod Francis, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Samuel Stephen Frank, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. RajKohila, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. Pauline Shanthi, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. Praisy Joy, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. Stelin Agnes Michael, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. Minu Rekha, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. Mohana Priya, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Dr. Rex Joe Max, MBBS, PG Demonstrator
- Mrs. Amsaveni, BSc, Sel. Gr. Technician I
- Mrs. Akila Williams, BSc, Sel. Gr. Technician I
- Mr. V. Gopinath, BSc, Secretary III
- Mr. S. Balakrishnan, BSc, Staff Technician I
- Mr. K.R. Gopi, BSc, Staff Technician I
- Mr. G. Rajkumar, BFA, Artist/Modeller Technician Staff I
- Mr. P. Shanmugam, Hospital Attendant I
- Mr. G.A. Anthonyswamy, Hospital Attendant I
- Mr. M. Dhandapani, Hospital Attendant II
- Mr. C. Babu Udayasuriyan, Hospital Attendant II
- Mr. S. Dasaradhan, Hospital Attendant IV
- Mr. K. Lakshmana Kumar, Hospital Attendant IV
Dissection Hall: The gross structure of the human body is taught through lectures, cadaver dissections, study of bones, prosected specimens, tutorials, quizzes, radiographs, charts and models. We maintain a small student-teacher ratio of 12:1 and ensure that all students receive personal attention and guidance. The fostering and nurturing of medical students during their first year in college has been an important aspect of our work.
Histology Lab: Histology, or microscopic anatomy is taught by lectures and practicals. The Histology Laboratory is well equipped with individual microscopes and a set of slides for each student. Colored, labeled photomicrographs are provided to aid the students in interpreting the more difficult slides. Here also we maintain the small student-teacher ratio.
Library: There are around 1700 books and 17 journals in the Department Library to enable us to keep abreast with changes in the subject.
E-learning: E-learning is being used for teaching. We upload PowerPoint of lectures taken, study material, feedback quizzes and make announcements (e.g. for the Secondary Hospital Program SHP-I).
We have more than 168 charts, 100 radiographs, 20 videocassettes, 384 museum specimens and 153 models to help with the teaching.
Currently research is being done in gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy and ultrastructure, neurology and radiological anatomy. The work is supported by internal grants and grants from ICMR, CSIR and DBT.
Publications in last five years
- Pritishkumar IJ, Holla SJ. 2011. Early clinical exposure as a teaching learning tool to teach neuroanatomy for first year occupational and physical therapy students - Our Preliminary Experience. Accepted in Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy.
- Abraham P, Isaac B. 2011. Ultrastructural changes in the rat kidney after single dose of cyclophosphamide---Possible roles for peroxisome proliferation and lysosomal dysfunction in cyclophosphamide induced renal damage.Hum ExpToxicol. Mar 18.
- Abraham P, Isaac B, Ramamoorthy H, Natarajan K. 2011. Oral glutamine attenuates cyclophosphamide-induced oxidative stress in the bladder but does not prevent hemorrhagic cystitis in rats.J Med Toxicol.Jun; 7(2):118-24.
- Abraham P, Isaac B. 2011. The effects of oral glutamine on cyclophosphamide-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Hum ExpToxicol. Jul; 30(7):616-23.
- Abraham P, Rabi S. 2011. Protective effect of aminoguanidine against cyclophosphamide-induced oxidative stress and renal damage in rats. Redox Rep 16:8-14.
- Bertha A, Suganthy Rabi. 2011. Anatomical variations in termination of common facial vein. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 5:24-27.
- Deepak Vinod Francis, IndiraniKanakasabapathy. Bilateral Nephromegaly, Hepatomegaly and Retroaortic left renal vein in a patient with Aplastic anaemia: An unusual presentation. Journal of Anatomical Society of India. (Accepted to be published in the Dec-2011 issue)
- Kumar SP, Selvaraj KG, Rabi S, Holla SJ. 2010. Estimation of length of ulna from the bony markers of proximal end in south Indian population. Eur J Anat 14: 67-73.
- Ivan James Prithishkumar and Indirani Kanakasabapathy. 2010. Agenesis of the left lobe of liver - A rare anomaly with associated hepatic arterial variations. Clinical Anatomy. Published online in Wiley Interscience. 23: 899–901. doi: 10.1002/ ca.20934
- Premila Abraham, Viswa Kalyan Kolli, Suganthy Rabi. 2010. Melatonin attenuates methorexate-induced oxidative stress and renal damage in rats. Cell Biochem Func 28:426-433.
- Prithishkumar, I. J.2010. Reply: Extrahepatic and intrahepatic vascular anatomy in the agenesis of the left lobe of the liver. Clinical Anatomy, 23: 742.
- Prithishkumar, I. J. and David, S. S. 2010. Morphometric analysis and clinical application of the working dimensions of cricothyroid membrane in south Indian adults: With special relevance to surgical cricothyroidotomy. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 22: 13–20.
- Jeyanth Rose, Pushpa Jacob, Tripti Jacob. 2010. Horner syndrome and VI nerve paresis as a diagnostic clue to a hidden lesion. Natl Med J India. 23:344-5.
- Holla SJ, Ramachandran K, Isaac B, Koshy S. 2009. Anatomy education in a changing medical curriculum in India: Medical student feedback on duration and emphasis of gross anatomy teaching. Anatomical Sciences Education 2:179-183.
- Kolli VK, Abraham P, Isaac B, Selvakumar D. 2009. Neutrophil infiltration and oxidative stress may play a critical role in methotrexate-induced renal damage.Chemotherapy. 55(2):83-90.
- Indirani Kanakasabapathy, Silviya Rajakumari J, Sathya Subramani, Prakasa Rao. 2009. Mitochondria-rich cells in South Indian pond frog (euphlyctishexadactylus) - A light and electron microscopic study. Journal of Anatomical Society of India. Vol.58. pp.126-129.
- IndiraniKanakasabapathy and George Tharian. 2009. The Utility Value of Olfactory Ensheathing Cells (OEC) and olfactory Nerve Fibroblasts (ONF) in Treating Spinal Cord Injury. The FASEB Journal. Vol.23. Issue 1.834.1
- Premila Abraham, Suganthy Rabi, Preethi Kulothungan. 2009. Aminoguanidine, selective nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, ameliorates cyclophosphamide-induced haemorrhagic cystitis by inhibiting protein nitration and PARS activation. Urology 73:1402-1406.
- Premila Abraham, Suganthy Rabi. 2009. Nitrosative stress, protein tyrosine nitration, PARP activation and NAD depletion in the kidneys of rat after single dose of cyclophosphamide. Clinical and Experimental Nephrology 13:281-287.
- Premila Abraham, Suganthy Rabi, Dhayakani Selvakumar. 2009. Protective effect of aminoguanidine against oxidative stress and bladder injury in cyclophosphamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis in rats. Cell Biochemistry and Function. 27:56-62.
- R. Vyas, M. Jacob, M. Faith, B. Isaac, S. Rabi, S. Sathishkumar, D. Selvakumar, A. Ganesh. 2008. An effective integrated learning programme in the first year of the medical course. The National Medical Journal of India. 21(1), 21-6.
- Premila Abraham, Indirani Kanakasabapathy, Preethi Kulothungan. 2008. Alterations in antioxidant enzyme activities increased oxidative stress in cyclophosphamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis in the rat. Cancer Therapy. Vol.6. pp.563-570.
- Premila Abraham1, Indirani Kanakasabapathy2, Preethi Kulothungan1. 2008. Alterations in the activities of antioxidant enzymes and neutrophil infiltration in cyclophosphamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis in the rat. Gene TherMolBiol Vol.12.
- Premila Abraham, Suganthy Rabi. 2008. Protein nitration, PARP activation, and NAD+ may play a crtitical role in the pathogenesis of cyclophosphamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis in rats. Cancer ChemotherPharmacol 64:279-285.
- ViswaKolli, Premila Abraham, Suganthy Rabi. 2008. Methotrexate-induced nitrosative stress may play a critical role in small intestinal damage in the rat. in Archives of Toxicology. 82:763-770.
- Steinke H, Rabi S, Saito T, Sawutti A, Miyaki T, Itoh M, Spanel-Borowski K. 2008. Light-weight Plastination. Annals of Anatomy 190:428-431.
- Rabi S, Madhavi C. 2008. Case reports with special reference to the innervation, development and clinical significance of the subclaviusposticus and the termination of the facial vein in South Indian cadavers. Eur J Anat 12:133-136.
- Steinke H, Rabi S, Saito T. 2008. Staining body slices before and after plastination. Eur J Anat. 12:51-55.
- J. Suganthy, Indrasingh I., Tripti Jacob, Reena Agarwal. 2008. Multiple vascular variation of splanchnic branches of abdominal aorta in a 103 year old South Indian male. J. Anat. Soc. India 57(1) 37-42.
- Study of antigen presenting cells in human reproductive organs - Dr. Suganthy funded by ICMR.
- Spinal cord regeneration using stem cell transplantation and other novel techniques - Department of Biotechnology - Dr. Indirani K.
We are on the process of video-taping dissections, digitalizing Dr. Harsha’s diagrams and histology slides. We also have developed a Plastination Lab
1918 Anatomy Department was established; First batch of licentiate students were admitted
1942 - First batch of MBBS students was registered
1943 - Recognised for research by Indian Research Fund Association (IRFA)
1944 - Anatomy museum with wax, paper masche and wooden was established
1946 - The Bone Section supplied articulated skeletons to centers in India and abroad. First MS thesis by Dr. Ramamurthi
1947 - Major developments in the Histology-Embryology Section with addition of a large number of slides
1948 - Acquisition of first Research Microscope with Photomicrograph attachments. Two papers were published in International Journals
1950 - Dr. Liza Chacko presented her work at the 5th International Anatomical Congress at Oxford. Dr. Liza Chacko was awarded a D.Phil. She also won the Nuffled Prize of 1,500 pounds to purchase equipment for research
1951 - Inauguration of the Anatomical Society of India. Dr. Liza Chacko and Dr. Narayanaswami participated in the symposium “Teaching of Anatomy” and presented research papers. Number of books and journals available in the Department Library greatly increased
1952 - Advanced Anatomy lectures for postgraduate students in MD and MS were held for the first time
2003 - CORPORA-an exhibition-cum-teaching program in Anatomy was conducted for the first time
2004 - Acquisition of Cryostat
2009 - Starting of Plastination Lab