- Dr. Victoria Job, M.Sc., Ph.D - Professor and Head
- Dr. F.S. Geethanjali, M.Sc., Ph.D - Professor
- Dr. Joe Fleming, M.Sc., Ph.D., Dip.CB., M.CB., M.R.C.Path - Visiting Professor
- Dr. Pamela Christudoss, M.Sc ., Ph.D - Assoc. Prof
- Dr. Arun Jose Nellickal, M.Sc., Ph.D - Lecturer
- Dr. Jayakumar Amirtharaj , M.Sc., Ph.D - Lecturer
- Mrs. Gracy Varghese, M.Sc - Lecturer
- Mrs. S. Vanita, M.Sc ., - Lecturer
- Mr. Joseph Dian Bondu, M.Sc.,- Lecturer
- Mrs. Janani Iswarya , M.Sc.,-Lecturer
- Mr. Yesudas Sudhakar M.Sc,- Lecturer
About the department
The Department of Clinical Biochemistry offers 24 hours diagnostic support to the physicians of our hospital to provide a good clinical service. The laboratory is well equipped with state –of –the -art analyzers which measures chemical parameters in blood, urine and other body fluids. The department is dynamic and dedicated to excellence within the field of Clinical Biochemistry. All the automated instruments are linked to the Hospital LAN allowing on-line transfer of results. 175 different tests are carried out ensuring good quality results using various quality control material. The laboratory has been accredited by the NABL under ISO/IEC 15189- 2012. The development over the years has made it possible to handle over 5000 samples per day and well over 15000 tests per day. The department is also involved in teaching, outreach programmes and research activities.
Mile stones of the department are:
- Early 70's- Introduction of Continuous Flow Analyzer for the first time in India (single/double channel)
- 1975 -Introduction of in-house radioimmunoassay (RIA) for thyroxine.
- 1978 -Starting EQAS (External quality assurance scheme) programme for Indian Laboratories (about 50 labs participated).
- Mid 80's to mid 90's - newer versions of Discrete Selective Analyzer were added and RIAs for various other hormones
- 1984 -Trace metal measurements by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer.
- 1986 -Introduction of blood gas analyzers
- 1990 -Introduction of Ion-Selective Electrode system for electrolyte measurement
- 1993 -Introduction automated Enzyme Immuno Assay (EIA)
- 1994- Introduction of drug assays using EMIT technique
- 1997 -Hormone assays by Chemiluminescence system.
- 2002 -Hand book of Biochemistry lab services was released.
- 2002- The department was the first in CMC to be accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and calibration Laboratories.(NABL) complying to ISO 15189 - standards
- 2004 -Launching of the ACBI/ CMC EQAS website for the online transfer of results and reports.
- 2005 –Shifting and dedication of new laboratory on 6th Floor, ASHA building.
- 2006 -Pneumatic system for the transport of samples from the wards and OPD to the various labs.
- 2007 -Addition of Electro Chemiluminescence Analyzer for Hormones.
- 2008 -Introducing the lyophilized QC with 22 chemistry parameters.
- 2011-Introduction of the Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer (ICPMS) to measure trace and heavy metal.
- 2012–Introduction of the human sera samples for EQAS programme, a new programme for thyroid hormones and cortisol
- 2013-Introduction of special hormones, HBA1C, Urine chemistry parameters, Biochemical markers For Down’s screening.
- 2013 -Dedication of the new lyophilizer Lab.
- 2014- The Proficiency testing programme, CMC-EQAS was accredited by NABL complying to ISO 17043-2010 standards as the first medical testing lab in India.
- 2014 Introduction of the Preanalytical Cobas P -512 .
The department has four major roles i.e.
- Patient-care related diagnostic services
- Academic teaching
- Outreach programme –CMC EQAS
- Research activities
Patient-care related diagnostic services
The department services are divided into sections, with a faculty member overseeing and authorizing the work in each section.
- Chemistry section analyses the routine chemistries like LFT, RFT, Enzymes, Glucose, lipid profile, electrolytes, using spectrophotometry, specific proteins using immunoturbidometry on fully automated analyzers.
- Immunoassay section analyses hormones, the anticonvulsants, tumour markers, special proteins & antibodies, allergens, cardiac markers, hypertension markers, Vitamins.
- Glycosylated Haemoglobin, by HPLC and Capillary Electrophoresis.
- Electrophoresis Section - biochemical work up for diagnosis and management of Myeloma patients.
- ICP-Mass spectrometer section – Heavy metals
- Atomic absorption spectrophotometry – Trace metals
- Chromatography – Paper, Ion exchange and HPLC
- Toxicology- Organo phosphorous poisons
The Faculty of the Department of Clinical Biochemistry are involved in teaching as part of the following undergraduate and post graduate programs,
1) Undergraduate Allied Medical Sciences:
- B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT).(3years integrated course)
2) Post graduate postings in Clinical Biochemistry
- DM in Rheumatology, Nephrology, Hematology, Endocrinology- (1 week posting)
- M.D Biochemistry – (9 months posting)
- M.D in Physiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology
- P.G. Diploma in Clinical Pathology – (3 months posting)
3) Laboratory training programs:
- One month Internship training for the B.Sc.MLT after graduation
- Clinical Biochemist training program for B.Sc. graduates who have joined the department .
- On-going training programmes for all the technical staff of the department.
4) Laboratory visits ( up to 3 days) for -
- Fellowship in Analytical Clinical Pharmacology, Diploma Fellowship in diabetes
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Clinical immunology & Rheumatology
- DNB in Endocrinology, Nuclear medicine
- Distance education in diabetes, Intensive doctors training program at the secondary level in diabetes
- Senior registrars from Endocrinology
- Laboratory Technology students from Scudder Memorial Hospital and SLR &TC Karigiri.
- Laboratory visit for the First year MBBS students of CMC.
- Short term visitor observership for technologists and biochemists.
5) Training Programmes for WHO and ICMR sponsored candidates
- Short training programmes (2-3 months) for MD and other candidates from within India and from overseas eg Malaysia, Maldives in External Quality Assessment programmes and in laboratory technology.
6) Work Experience visits of MRCPath candidates from UK Laboratories
- 2 candidates have been to our laboratory for a period of 6 weeks each, involving familiarization for them with an Indian laboratory.
A) ACBI - CMC External Quality Assurance Scheme
The Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Christian Medical College, Vellore under the banner of The Association of Clinical Biochemists of India (ACBI) is conducting an External Quality Assessment Scheme (EQAS) since 1978. The Participants represents all the states of India and Nepal. The participating laboratories include teaching and non-teaching hospital laboratories, government as well as private hospitals, private clinics and diagnostic centers.
Many laboratories are benefited by this program, since it is affordable compared to other commercially available EQAS scheme. 4400 participants take part in 7 different schemes and the samples prepared every month totals to 7860. At present this is the only accredited medical PT provider under NABL in the country. The programme is growing in response to the need in the country and increased awareness of quality management in the diagnostic field.
For more details please visit the EQAS web site at http://home.cmcvellore.ac.in/clinqc/
B) Special Assays for mission Hospitals:
Specialized tests like hormone assays, trace metals analysis etc for smaller mission hospitals are carried out at affordable costs. A large number of hospitals make use of this privilege.
C) Faculty visits to mission hospitals
Senior faculty visit other mission hospital laboratories to provide consultancy service by giving suggestions to improve quality of their lab services
D) Workshops conducted by faculty
Ph.D programme :
Members of the faculty in the department are recognized as guides / co-guides by the Dr. MGR. Medical University to supervise our faculty staff and Ph.D students from other departments who have registered for PhD.
The department also carries out many projects for the postgraduate MD students of various departments, assays for clinical trials, and active collaborative studies with other departments and organizations are on the move.
Department e-mail- email@example.com