- Dr. R. Selvakumar, M.Sc., Ph.D
- Dr. Joe Fleming, M.Sc., Ph.D., Dip.CB., M.CB., M.R.C.Path
- Dr. F.S. Geethanjali, M.Sc., Ph.D
- Dr. Victoria Job, M.Sc., Ph.D
- Mrs. Pamela Chrisrudoss, M.Sc
- Mr. Arun Jose, M.Sc
- Mrs. Gracy Varghese, M.Sc
- Mrs.Vanita, M.Sc
- Mr. Bondu Joseph, M.Sc
- Miss. Janani Iswariya , M.Sc
The Department of Clinical Biochemistry offers diagnostic support to the physicians of our hospital to provide a good clinical service. The laboratory has been accredited by the NABL under ISO/IEC 15189. The development over the years has made it possible to handle over 3500 samples per day and well over 9000 tests per day.
The department has fully automated instruments which are linked to the Hospital LAN allowing two way communication for receiving requests and transfer of results on-line. Sample collection in vacutainers, transporting through the pneumatic system and bar coding the samples have facilitated in decreasing the turnaround time of results tremendously. At present we do nearly 170 different tests. Various commercial assayed QC and internal QC prepared in house have been included in the assays ensuring good quality results.
The Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Christian Medical College, Vellore under the banner of The Association of Clinical Biochemists of India (ACBI) is conducting an External Quality Assessment Scheme (EQAS) since 1978. The Participants represent all the states of India and also Andaman and Nepal. The participating laboratories include teaching and non-teaching hospital laboratories, government as well as private, small hospitals, private clinics and diagnostic centers.
Some of the mile stones of the department are
- Early 70's Introduction of Continuous Flow Analyser for the first time in India (single/double channel) 1975 Introduction of in-house radioimmunoassay (RIA) for thyroxin.
- Mid 80's to mid 90's newer versions of Discrete Selective Analysers, were added and RIAs for various other hormones.
- 1984 Trace metal measurements by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer.
- 1986 Introduction of blood gas analysers.
- 1990 Introduction of Ion-Selective Electrode system for electrolyte measurement.
- 1993 Introduction automated Enzyme Immuno Assay (EIA).
- 1994 Introduction of drug assay using EMIT technique.
- 1997 Hormone assays by Chemiluminescence system.
- 2002 Hand book of Biochemistry lab services was released. The department was accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and calibration Laboratories.
- 2004 Launching of the ACBI/ CMC EQAS website for the online transfer of results and reports.
- 2006 Pneumatic system for the transport of samples form the wards and OPD to the various labs.
- 2008 Introducing the lyophilysed QC with 22 parameters.
The Department is involved in teaching the following courses
M.D. Biochemistry, M.D. Pathology, Diploma in Clinical Pathology, M.Sc. Biochemistry, B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Technology and BMRSc(Bachelor of Medical Records Science) We also deliver lectures for various post graduate diploma courses.
The department is also involved in research. There are candidates doing research towards their Ph.D degree. We do many projects for the postgraduates, assays for clinical trials, and collaborate with other department in research.