CHRISTIAN MEDICAL COLLEGE VELLORE
Not to be ministered unto but to minister

Our Campuses

Schell Eye Campus

The Schell Campus is our oldest campus primarily serving patients with ophthalmological problems. Apart from the Department of Ophthalmology, it also houses the Low Cost Effective Care Unit (LCECU) of the Department of Family Medicine. The LCECU was started on December 1982, in response to the needs of the poor in Vellore town.

This campus initially housed the Mary Taber Schell Memorial Hospital, started in the year 1902 by Dr. Ida Scudder as a 40-bedded hospital. It was named in memory of the wife of a New York-based benefactor who provided the initial amount to set up the hospital. 

From April 2016 to March 2017, the 100-bedded Ophthalmology department at the Schell Campus catered to more than one lakh twenty thousand outpatients and close to 8000 inpatients. During the same period, the 48-bedded LCECU had close to 69,000 outpatients, more than 1700 inpatients and 148 births.